So this recipe is for those of you with ice-cream machines, which I realise may not be a lot of you BUT, I can tell you that an ice-cream maker is worth the purchase. We make this chocolate ice-cream recipe every full moon. My boys love the tradition and they now know the meaning of a waxing moon!! A full moon means glorious things in their life – they are getting mom’s homemade chocolate ice-cream!
It doesn’t take long to make either, I literally combine all the ingredients and pop it in the machine for an hour to churn and then place in the freezer to harden for 2-3 hours. This little tradition of ours also helps to warrant my purchase of an ice-cream maker. Every time I pull it out, I silently say “ah you see what a non-wasteful purchase that was! I am USING my machine” and there is a delightfully satisfying feeling in that. So if you need to warrant your purchase of an ice-cream maker, you can always start a little tradition like us! Full moon ice-cream.
We go outside, sit on the lawn and eat ice-cream under the full moon (sometimes we push it out by a day or two if its bad weather) and we all eat from the same tub 🙂 How scandalous!
I have a Magimix Gelato which was a rather large splurge but there are much cheaper ones available too – I see Russell Hobbs has a reasonably priced one on YuppieChef.Print
A 5-ingredient recipe for homemade chocolate ice-cream in an ice-cream maker. Quick and easy to make, I wouldn’t think of using any other recipe, it works every time!
- 1 1/2 cups full cream milk
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- Combine the sugar and the full cream milk and stir to allow the sugar to dissolve a little
- Sieve the cocoa powder into the milk and sugar mixture and mix through
- Add the cream and vanilla essence and mix to combine
- Add the mixture to your pre-chilled ice-cream maker bowl and churn for an hour or until thick and creamy.
- Once ready, transfer the ice-cream to a pre-chilled loaf tin (or any container really!) and place in the freezer to harden for 2-3 hours.