A quick and easy spicy, vegan, Tikka Masala with Cauliflowers and Chickpeas
- 2–3 tablespoons vegan butter or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 heaped tablespoon ginger, freshly grated
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground chilli powder (use ½ tsp for a milder version)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can diced tomatoes (400g)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 small cauliflower head, broken into florets (about 2 heaped cups)
- 1/3 cup canned chickpeas, drained
- ¼ cup coconut milk (plus extra for serving)
- Coriander for garnishing
- In a medium-sized frying pan, add the vegan butter or oil. Once hot, add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook until the onion softens and starts to caramelise. Keep stirring and be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the spices: garam masala, turmeric, chilli powder, cumin and salt and fry for 1-2 minutes to allow the flavours to develop.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, water, cauliflower and chickpeas and allow to simmer until the water reduces into a lovely thick sauce and the cauliflower has softened, about 20-25 mins.
- Stir in the coconut cream. Add a little extra if you find the sauce too hot.
- Serve with Basmati rice or naan bread, fresh coriander and a drizzle of coconut cream.