You’re probably thinking how on earth do you make a Vegan coleslaw? No Mayonnaise? I thought the exact same thing but let me tell you, this coleslaw is simply delicious. Instead of mayonnaise, we use a creamy cashew nut dressing with all sorts of sweet and tangy ingredients. Eating coleslaw has never been more exciting!!
Start by preparing the dressing as you’ll have to soak the cashew nuts for at least 40 minutes in boiling hot water or in cool water overnight. This is what will make them super creamy so don’t rush this part. Once you’ve made the dressing, you just toss it together with carrots and cabbage and top with diced red onion, spring onions (not essential but it makes it look extra pretty!) and a few baby spinach leaves.
Yumminess all the way!Print
A delicious vegan coleslaw recipe complete with a creamy cashew nut dressing.
- 4 cups shredded cabbage (red or green or a combination)
- 2 cups grated carrot
- ½ red onion, diced (for garnish)
- 2–3 spring onions, chopped (for garnish)
- 1 cup cashews – raw or salted, soaked in boiling hot water for 30–40 minutes or in cool water overnight)
- 1/ cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegan honey or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons English mustard
- 1 ½ tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon celery salt or plain salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Prepare the dressing first – Soak the cashews for 30-40 minutes in boiling hot water or in cool water overnight. Drain well and then place in a blender, along with the other dressing ingredients and blend on high until all ingredients have turned into a creamy dressing. Add a little water if the dressing is too thick.
- In a large bowl, add the shredded cabbage and the grated carrot and pour the dressing over and toss to combine.
- Top with diced red onion and slices of spring onions or edible flowers. Enjoy!