You may tell from the number of soup recipes on this website, that I really enjoy the idea of nutritious liquid in a bowl (or cup in this case). The toasted and buttered piece of ciabatta may also play a role in my soup-loving ways, for what is a soup without something to dunk in the soup?
This Butternut and Red Pepper soup is the perfect vegan appetiser as I have not used any cream or milk in the recipe. And those who don’t love the idea of coconut milk, it doesn’t have that either! It is just a pure cup of good nutrition! The recipe will serve 8 people in 8 dinky little enamel cups.
Garnish with Rocket or Basil and serve with toasted Ciabatta, smothered with vegan butter. Yum!Print
A delicious Vegan appetiser, this Butternut and Red Pepper soup is high in nutrients, quick to make, delicious to snack on and a fun way to serve up an appetiser.
- 500g butternut, chopped into medium-sized squares
- 2 red peppers, sliced into quarters (seeds removed)
- 60ml olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 750ml vegetable stock
- 5 spring onions, sliced
- Handful of Herbs for garnishing: rocket or rosemary or basil
- Arrange butternut and red peppers on a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and grind salt and black pepper generously over all the veggies. Roast for 50-60 minutes at 180°C, until soft and slightly charred around the edges.
- Add the roasted butternut and red peppers as well as vegetable stock to a pot. Use a handheld blender (or use standing blender) to puree the soup. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- Dish out into small ceramic or enamel cups, top with sliced spring onions and a spoonful of fresh herbs (try rocket or rosemary or basil)
- Serve with toasted ciabatta and vegan butter.
Serves: 8 people as an appetiser (dished into small cups)