Probably the easiest soup you’ll ever make. In fact, no, it IS the easiest soup you will ever make. There are not frills to this 5-ingredient butternut soup but the taste is amazing! I always maintain that adding more ingredients to a dish doesn’t always make it taste better. Less ingredients means you get to taste the ingredients that ARE there! I made a video of the recipe too – not because the recipe warrants a how-to video but mainly just to practice my video skills. So, Bonus! Don’t judge the video skills though – I am still learning and I am a SLOW learner. 🙂
If you’ve never made one of my 5-ingredient recipes before, you’ll note 7 ingredients in the list but we sneakily don’t count olive oil and salt and pepper because, well, I’m assuming that you have those as pantry basics!
Lastly, this recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free – I hardly ever get to say that so it’s rather exciting. It’s suitable for EVERYBODY! Is anyone allergic to butternut or onions?
Super easy 5-ingredient Butternut Soup suitable for vegans. Gluten and Dairy Free!
- 2 medium Butternuts, peeled and chopped (about 1kg chopped)
- 2 onions, cut into quarters
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 tablespoons fresh Thyme (2 TBS dried), plus extra for garnishing
- Salt & pepper
- 4 cups Vegetable Stock
- 4 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- Place the chopped butternut and onion on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, add a moderate amount of salt and pepper, sprinkle fresh Thyme (if you only have dried Thyme, rather add that after roasting as it might burn!). Toss together to make sure everything is coated in olive oil.
- Roast for 50 minutes at 180°C until soft, and slightly browned.
- Transfer roasted veggies into a large pot, add the vegetable stock and lemon juice and blend until smooth. Add more salt and pepper to taste.