The ultimate picnic cake in a “sheet cake” format, this Lavender and Lemon Cake is not only delicious, it’s easy to transport too. That is not the only reason sheet cakes are cool. They are quick and easy to ice and provide the perfect ratio of cake to icing. If you love this format, you will also love my Chocolate Sheet Cake and my Carrot Sheet Cake recipe. They are like hugs in a form of a recipe! Oh and I almost forgot, my Christmas Sheet Cake!
For the batter, you will need some dried Lavender blossoms for the batter, only a tablespoon or less, as well as some fresh Lavender for decorating the top – we want the vibrant purple for decorating. If you only have fresh Lavender available, you can always use that in the batter although the Lavender taste would typically be stronger so perhaps take it down to 3/4 tablespoon or even half.
You will also add lemon zest to the batter which together with the lavender make each mouthful of this cake so dreamy to eat. Let’s not forget the Greek Yoghurt in the recipe as well as the oil – these always make for moist (sorry for that word) cakes.
So invite some friends to a nearby meadow, bake a cake, drink tea and offer gratitude to all Lemons and Lavender fields everywhere!
How dreamy is this cake?! Just look at that icing. Gosh. I feel like lying down in a meadow right now.
A delicious picnic-inspired cake in an easy-to-transport sheet cake format, this Lavender and Lemon Cake is a one bowl wonder. Decorate with cream cheese icing, fresh Lavender and Lemon Zest.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup Greek Yoghurt
- 1/2 cup sunflower/canola oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon juice
- 250g cream cheese
- 2 cups icing sugar
- Fresh Lavender and Lemon Zest for dusting
- Heat the oven to 180°C
- In a mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients followed by the wet ingredients and mix until all ingredients are well combined.
- Pour into an ovenproof rectangular dish approx 20 x 30cm and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.Â Allow to cool.
- In the meantime, prepare the icing by mixing the cream cheese to a smooth consistency, then add the icing sugar and blend until smooth. Add more icing sugar to thicken if necessary.
- Decorate with fresh lavender and lemon zest.