The best date ball recipe ever. The mixture comes together quickly and easily and makes about 20 balls. Completely moreish, they are the ultimate companion to a cup of hot tea!
- 125g butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 250g dates, chopped
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 pack Tennis Biscuits (Marie Biscuits will work too), crushed into small pieces
- 100g coconut (+- 1 cup) for rolling
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and add the sugar. Stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the vanilla essence, cinnamon and the dates and heat for 3-4 minutes until dates are gooey and soft.
- Take the mixture off the stove and transfer to a large mixing bowl
- Add the whisked egg and mix well until the mixture looks emulsified.
- Now add the biscuits and coat well with the mixture.
- Place in the fridge to cool for 20 minutes or so and then roll into medium-sized balls.
- Roll in coconut and store in an airtight container, in the fridge.
- Enjoy with a cup of tea!
If you can’t find fresh dates, you can always use the depitted packaged dates – I think they come conveniently in a pack of 250g.