A homemade and heartwarming family meal, these mini Chicken and Mushroom pies are quick and easy to prepare.
- 250g mushrooms (brown or white), sliced
- 250ml cream
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Thyme (or 1 teaspoon fresh)
- salt and pepper
- 400g ready rolled puffy pastry
- 1 egg, whisked
- Chop the mushrooms and fry them in the butter until they are soft and beautifully browned.
- Stir in the cream. Add salt and pepper.
- To prevent lumps, add the cornflour to the milk and stir together until smooth.
- Now, add small amounts of the milk and cornflour mix to the sauce and stir gently with a wooden spoon. Allow the sauce to simmer and it will begin to thicken. Repeat this until the milk and cornflour mix has been used up.
- Slice the chicken breasts in half to create thinner pieces – this allows the meat to cook faster
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the chicken. Cook for 4 minutes a side or until cooked right through. Add salt, pepper and thyme.
- Allow to cool and then shred the chicken with a fork into strands.
- Add the chicken pieces to the mushroom sauce and stir through. YUMMMY!!
- Now, add the filling to some small ramekin dishes. Leave a little gap at the top of the dish – you don’t want to fill right to the brim of the dish otherwise the pastry might stick to the filling (and we don’t want that to happen).
- Roll out the puff pastry and slice square shapes big enough to cover the ramekin dishes and fold a little over the sides. You should be able to do 6 mini ramekins and still have filling left over.
- Brush the pastry with the whisked egg. I added little initials for each member of my family but you could also add hearts or leave this step out completely!! 🙂
- Cook at 180C for 30 minutes or until lovely and puffy and golden brown.