A delicious and fiery, homemade chewy ginger sweet that is easy to make and has a small list of ingredients.
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup fresh, grated ginger;
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 glucose syrup (or honey)
- 4 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- Create the Ginger decocotion. In a medium-sized pot, add the grated ginger and water and allow to simmer until approximately half the water has evaported – not more than that). Strain and keep 1 cup of the decoction for the ginger chews (this should take approx 30 mins)
- Grease a small baking dish with coconut oil or butter and set aside.
- In a clean, medium-sized pot, add the ginger decoction, the sugar and glucose syrup and stir over low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and avoid stirring.
- Using a candy thermometer, keep an eye on the temperature – allow the mixture to heat up to 124 degrees Celsius or 255 degrees Fahrenheit. Once it has reached that temperature, remove immediately and pour into the glass dish.
- Once the mixture has cooled slightly, peel it out of the baking dish and using a sharp knife (you can warm it in water) slice the chews into bite-sized strips.
- Dust in the cornflour/icing sugar mixture and store in an airtight container.