A heartwarming, soul-soothing soup with sweet, salty and sour flavour combinations thatÂ make each mouthful completely moreish and perfect for a winter’s day pick-me-up.
- 2Â tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion,Â chopped
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 4Â cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils (uncooked)
- 3/4Â cup whole-kernel corn
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- In a large pot, add the oil, onions and carrots and allow to cook over medium heat until the onions are soft.
- Stir in the garlic, cumin and curry powder and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the lentils, corn, and vegetable stock and stir through.
- Bring the soup to a slow simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft.
- Using a hand blender, blend until you reach a consistency between chunky and completely smooth (as you can see I left mine a little chunky!)
- Stir in the lemon juice and zest.
- Season according to taste, with salt and freshly-cracked black pepper.
- Garnish with herbs from the garden, a slice of lemon and a dash of black pepper.