Tasty Vegetarian Stroganoff Sauce that you can make with common ingredients in under 30 minutes.
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, diced
250g Portobello mushrooms (the brown ones)
3 small cloves garlic (or 1 large), minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon mustard
2 tablespoons flour (use less flour if you prefer a thin sauce)
1/4 cup white wine
2 cups vegetable stock
1 teaspoon fresh Thyme, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh Rosemary, chopped
1/4 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
Optional garnishes: microgreens, rocket or fresh Thyme
salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Place the butter and onion in a medium-sized pan and cook until soft and translucent.
- Add the mushrooms, a little salt and cracked black pepper and cook until beautifully browned (8-10 minutes)
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes (be careful not to burn the garlic)
- Add in the tomato paste, soy sauce, mustard and herbs and cook for a minute
- Now mix in the flour and cook for another minute or so (the pan will get dry but don’t worry, we’re adding the wine next yeehaa!!)
- Pour the wine in and cook for another minute or two.
- Stir in the vegetable stock, bring the sauce to a simmer, stir occasionally and allow it to reduce by half the volume or until you have a thickened sauce**
- Take the pan off the heat, stir in the creme fraiche, add more salt/pepper to your liking and and garnish with microgreens, rocket or sprinklings of fresh Thyme.
- Serve with shell pasta or over a crispy baked potato
** the sauce is not overly thick, just right. If you prefer a thinner sauce then reduce the flour to 1 or 1 1/2 tablespoons.