So weatherwise for February we are actually doing quite well. Friday last week was a SCORCHER. A little “Hello Announcement” from February. I remember this well because we held our littlest boys birthday party on Friday and we had about 300 kids in our swimming pool and I was running around sweating like a gypsy with a mortgage. But hot weather always come with a reprieve of cool, rainy, indoor, stay home…….SOUP weather. Aha aha!!
I have always loved soup, the love affair started with Minestrone back when I was a kid. I wish I could say it was a soup made by a real Italian in a real Italian restaurant. But sadly no, it was most probably, in fact I think it definitely was, a tinned Minestrone soup from Woolies. But hey, it was still good.
I could talk a lot about Minestrone Soup but lets move on. Lets talk about Roasted Carrot and Ginger soup.
I first made this recipe a few months ago when I wanted to do a “cleanse week” – a boost of really good healthy foods. I made it for my colleagues and when we sat down to eat it, it was just like this tacit understanding that we should just keep quiet and enjoy the soup. Have you ever had that? When the food is so SO tasty, the conversation needs to pause for at least 30-60 seconds. It’s called an ode to the taste buds.
As I mentioned above, when I first created this recipe it was for a cleanse, so it was completely vegan – I used coconut cream to top off the dish, but then last night, I tried a dollop (probably more) of sour cream on top together with sprinkles of coriander. So just imagine the flavours for a second – sweetness from the carrots, zing from the ginger, spice from the ground coriander and allspice and then this creamy-sour addition of creme fraiche on top.
What I also wanted to really say is, this is an awesome family recipe for a Meatless Monday dinner option and if your’re vegan, then you can easily substitute the sour cream/ creme fraiche for coconut cream.
Oh and if you can, serve with fresh sourdough bread.
Tasty roasted carrot and ginger soup with creme fraiche and coriander. Easy recipe, suitable for vegetarians and ready in 50 minutes. Healthy and perfect for Meatless Monday dinner options.
- 9 carrots, cut into small chunks
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 small cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- 6 cm stem of ginger
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon all spice
- 1/4 cup Creme Fraiche / Sour Cream
- 1/4 Coriander, to garnish
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper to taste
- Chop the carrots into small chunks and place on a baking tray.
- Add the ground coriander and allspice to the olive oil, mix through then drizzle over the carrots. Make sure all the carrots are well-coated in oil, even if it means using your hands to help coat all the carrots.
- Wrap the peeled (and whole) garlic cloves and stem of ginger in tinfoil and place it on the tray with the carrots.
- Bake at 200 Â° C for 35-45 minutes until the carrots are soft and lightly browned.
- Unwrap the ginger and garlic and place in a medium-sized pot, along with the cooked carrots.
- Add the vegetable stock and using a stick blender, blend until smooth.
- Heat the soup over medium-high heat and to serve, add a tablespoon of Creme Fraiche to each bowl, sprinkle with fresh coriander and freshly cracked black pepper and salt to taste.