After a yoga retreat I was inspired by all things Chai spiced! So I developed this easy, chai-spiced cupcake recipe for you. It’s absolutely delicious!
For the Cupcake Batter:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 of the Chai Spice (see recipe below)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk / yoghurt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
For the Chai Spice Mix:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (can substitute with All Spice or star anise)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (can substitute with All Spice or star anise)
For the Icing:
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 amount of chai mix (save some to sprinkle on top of cupcakes)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1-2 tablespoons milk if needed
- Preheat oven to 180Â°C
- Cream the butter and sugar together until well combined and creamy.
- Add the eggs, flour, chai mix, buttermilk, baking soda, vinegar and vanilla essence and mix until well combined -be careful to not overmix
- Spoon into cupcake cases and bake for 15-20 mins at 180 Â° C
- Whilst the cupcakes are cooling – make the icing.
- Using a mixer, blend the butter until smooth and creamy
- Now add the icing sugar, chai mix and vanilla essence and mix until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add 1-2 TBS of milk if the icing is too stiff/dry.
- Pipe the icing onto the cupcakes once cooled and decorate with a sprinkle of chai spice and whole spices – I used cinnamon sticks and star anise.
- Enjoy with a cup of Chai tea!!