I watched a documentary called “Food Choices” a few weeks ago on Netflix (go watch it if you can!!) and ever since then, I’ve increased our “Meatless Mondays” into Wednesdays and Fridays too. Which basically means I need more vegetarian recipes (good ones) in my life! I wanted to share this one with you – I’ve called it “Fiesta Quinoa” and the recipe is not just meat-free, it is completely vegan. I never thought that a vegan dish could taste this good, but my goodness, it can. My meat-eating husband even enjoyed it – and he holds nothing back when it comes to giving a food/recipe opinion! We ate it for dinner and then I had it for lunch AND dinner the next day too…and perhaps even lunch the day after that if I can remember correctly..it made a big portion as you can see 😃
So let us get this fiesta fired up already!Print
Need a delicious meat-free family meal? This will become top of your list – healthy, gluten-free, vegan and STILL delicious!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 jalapeno, chopped finely
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup kidney beans, cooked and rinsed
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup coconut cream/milk
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup coriander, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime (plus another for garnishing/serving)
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil and fry the garlic, jalapeno, chilli powder and cumin until fragrant – about 1 minute.
- Add the quinoa, vegetable stock, coconut cream, beans, tomatoes and quinoa.
- Simmer until the quinoa is cooked through – about 20-25 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Add the lime juice
- Stir in the coriander, leaving a little for garnishing/serving
- Serve with a quarter of a lime and a slice of freshly sliced avocado. Ole!!!!