Enter the best lemon loaf cake recipe ever. This is LEMON LOVE right here you guys. It is one of those cakes where you say oh-my-soul after every mouthful. It has just the right amount of lemon flavour (juice and zest of one lemon), and it is soft and moist. Oh and the method…that is where it gets a little tricky. You have to add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix for 2 minutes. Tough hay!
I have never been the most confident baker so when I do make something that stands out…that illicits an oh-my-soul response after every mouthful, you guys will most definitely know all about it.
The original recipe required massaging the zest with the sugar to release the oils into the sugar. Whaaat? Um no. That is where I look at a recipe and think, surely we can simplify this and leave the massage out and SURELY it will taste kind of the same?? So I did, and the flavour still smacks of lovely-lemony-love (try say that fast 10 times). No massage needed.
As already mentioned. The cake is so MOIST (sorry if you hate that word). But really, it is a real stand-out feature of the cake.
MOIST MOIST MOIST. And just look at the glaze. Isn’t it just dreamy?
If you ever need to judge a cake recipe to see if it’s a goodie, as in, it will be MOIST and flavoursome…there are 2 ingredients you should look for.
The first is oil and the second is buttermilk or yoghurt. If they have these two key ingredients, you are more than likely going to get a beautifully MOIST cake.
These two ingredients are also solely responsible for too much cake eaten. *covers eyes to avoid guilt*Print
A moist and lemony loaf cake that is SO easy to make – from start to finish it takes 60 minutes. Includes fresh lemon juice and lemon zest for a true lemon flavour.
- 1 Â½ cups flour
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- Zest of 1 lemon (leave a little for decorating)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 eggs
- Â¾ cup plain full cream yoghurt (or buttermilk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Â½ cup sunflower oil (or canola)
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 Â½ tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a loaf tin with butter or use non-stick spray.
- Sift the dry ingredients together.
- Add the wet ingredients.
- With an electric beater, mix for 2 minutes.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- To make the glaze, mix the icing sugar, butter and lemon juice together and mix until smooth and creamy. Ice the cake and drizzle with a little lemon zest.
I think I need a Lemon category on my website because my-oh-my there are a lot of lemon recipes on here. Just in case you want some more lemon love, I’ll leave you with these recipes: