Do you know why sheet cakes are awesome? Can I just let you in on the secret here, in case you didn’t know…in case you’re thinking why not just a double layer carrot cake? Or why not just a carrot loaf cake? The answer lies in the proportions, namely its cake to icing ratio. It is just right. Often you can eat a cake and there is just too much cake for the amount of icing.
Sheet cakes are also great for little bite-sized pieces of cake where you need to feed more than 10 people and they are easy to transport. This is key. So I’m just putting all this out there in the spirit of sheet cake enlightenment. *smiley face*
It took me less than 15 minutes to measure out the ingredients, grate the carrots, prepare the cake and make the icing. Then it’s another 35-40 minutes to bake. See, we can do this thing!! It is perfectly moist (eeeek I said that word!!) and full of all the flavours you would expect from a carrot cake….hello cinnamon and brown sugar!
This recipe is adapted from my double layer carrot cake recipe and is essentially half the recipe. So, again, it is economical – feed more people on less ingredients. Wait, that sounds a little too frugal. Mmmm, how about, the cake that gives everyone a little taste? Yes that is better. The portion sizes are perfect, it really is all you need with a cup of tea.
And did you also know…(sjoe, I’m full of facts here today aren’t I) that carrot sheet cake tastes just as delicious at 1.35am after you’ve just rocked your baby for an hour, as it does at 10.30am with a cup of tea. Yes, true story. It also tastes good after supper. And even with coffee. And champagne. And I have no idea how I would possibly know all of this because I only had one slice.
Need the perfect cake to feed many, and taste amazing? Then you’ll LOVE this delicious carrot sheet cake recipe – the perfect ratio of cake to icing, each mouthful is like a little taste of heaven!
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 200ml vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup grated carrots
- Â¼ cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Ingredients â€“ Icing
- 50g butter, softened
- 250g cream cheese
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Â½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 175Â°C
- In a blender, mix the eggs and sugar together until light in colour and creamy.
- Add the oil, flour, vanilla essence, salt, baking powder, bicarb and cinnamon and mix together until just combined.
- Stir in the carrots, raisins and pecan nuts.
- Cook for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cake completely before icing. To make the icing. Simply mix all the ingredients together and blend well until smooth, light and white in appearance.
- Ice the cake and decorate with whole pecan nuts and a sprinkle of cinnamon.