A decadently chocolatey, moist classic chocolate cake that is tried and tested.
- Chocolate Cake
- 250g butter
- Â¼ cup cocoa, heaped
- 250ml water
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 cups flour
- Â¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs lightly beaten (I used a manual beater for 1 minute)
- Â½ cup plain yoghurt or buttermilk
- Â½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Chocolate Icing
- 2 cups sifted icing sugar
- Â½ cup cocoa
- 60ml melted butter
- 1/3 cup plain yoghurt or buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 180Â°C
- In a medium sized pot, bring the butter, cocoa and water to the boil
- Once boiling, remove from the heat, add the sugar, flour and salt and mix well ( I used a whisk for this and it worked well)
- Add the whisked eggs, yoghurt/buttermilk, bicarb, vanilla essence and cinnamon and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a round, greased baking tin and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Mix the icing just before the cake is about to come out of the oven.
- Mix all the ingredients together until smooth and creamy â€“ (remember to use melted butter)
- Once the cake has been taken out the oven (and still in cake tin), spoon the icing gently over the cake and then place in the fridge until it sets (about 30-40 minutes)