This recipe was given to me by my beautiful mother. It’ so quick and you really don’t need many ingredients which is what I love about it. Also, if you don’t have cream, you can always use mayonnaise. In fact a lot of people use mayonnaise instead of cream when making a Chutney Chicken dish – it results in a somewhat sweeter dish as there is usually always sugar added to store-bought mayonnaise. I’ve tried both and personally prefer the cream to the mayonnaise but it really is a personal choice.
A delightfully tasty and quick chutney chicken recipe – you can use mayonnaise or cream depending on your preference!
- 6 Chicken breasts
- 1 cup of cream
- 1 cup of fruit chutney (I used Mrs Balls Chutney)
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 punnett mushrooms, chopped (about 2 cups sliced mushrooms)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons gravy powder
- A couple of sprigs of Thyme (optional)
- Fry the mushrooms and onion in the cooking oil until soft and then set aside
- Season the chicken breasts with a little salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, mix the cream and chutney together and then add the chicken, mushrooms and onions.
- Transfer everything to a casserole dish and bake at 180C for approximately 20-25 minutes or until chicken is just cooked – leave the cover of the dish off.
- Take the dish out the oven and sprinkle the gravy powder over the top of the dish and grill for 5-10 minutes. The gravy powder slowly sinks into the cream and creates a lovely tasty layer on top. Use the sprigs of thyme to garnish the dish. Serve with savoury or plain rice.