This is such a great recipe to make with kids or even toddlers. My 3 year old had so much fun rolling the mixture, punching holes, scooping jam and eating as he went. A lot of mess but lots of fun!
The recipe had a lot of off-cuts so there was a lot of batter left over. And what’s a girl to do with extra batter?? Veee bake some more (said in your best German accent). I made little round biscuits with apricot jam spooned into the middle – see pic below….
So delicious – little jammy biscuits! Fun to make with kids and toddlers!
- 350g butter
- 1 Â½ cups icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence or Â½ teaspoon vanilla paste (yummy!!!)
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 Â½ cups cake flour
- Â¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 standard size tin of smooth strawberry jam/ apricot jam
- Preheat the oven to 180Â°C
- Beat the butter, icing sugar and vanilla essence together â€“ use an electric mixer on medium speed. Beat until itâ€™s smooth and creamy.
- Now add the salt and egg yolks and mix well.
- Add the flour bit by bit (if you donâ€™t, flour will just go everywhere when you start up the mixer!!!)
- At this point you may need to take the dough out and give it a good mix with your hands just to get everything â€œtogetherâ€.
- I let my biscuit dough rest for at least 30 minutes in the fridge â€“ make sure to cover with cling wrap or tinfoil. Try not to skip this step as it helps produce a better biscuit for a number of reasons (allows the gluten to relax and the flour to absorb the fluid more etc).
- Okay, now weâ€™re ready to roll! Sprinkle some flour on a flat surface and roll out the dough with a rolling pin to about Â½ centimetre thick.
- Okay now using a cookie cutter that is about 5-6cm wide, cut out about 40 biscuits. Then, with a smaller cutter, cut a hole in 20 of the biscuits (these are going to be the tops of the biscuits.)
- Spoon a tablespoon of jam onto the bases and then place the â€œtopsâ€ or the biscuits with the holes in, on top. Voila!!!!
- Line a baking tray with waxed paper and give it a spray with Spray and Cook as well.
- Pop the biscuits in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until they are golden brown in colour.
- Allow to cool before eating as the jam can burn your lips if you tuck into these too soon 🙂
- With the left over biscuit dough, make small balls and using your finger, press a small dent into each biscuit and spoon in Â½ teaspoon apricot jam. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.