I made this salad for my husband the other day for lunch. At first he turned his nose up at the thought of a salad with raisins and celery, well actually it was more like a “eeeuw” expression. Well, once he tasted it, he wolfed it down! And so did I! The combination of spicy and sweet works so well and of course the crunchiness of the celery and almonds makes this dish so very moreish. You could serve this for a family lunch or even a light dinner and if you’re wanting some carbs along with the salad, you can easily cook up a cup or two of pasta shells and add those – I’d add a little more mayonnaise though if I did that. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
A truly delicious salad that needs to be tried to be appreciated! Lovely flavour combinations will have you wanting more!
- 6 Chicken Breasts
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 6 pieces of celery (green stem only), chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped finely
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 3 heaped tablespoons almonds (flaked ones)
- 1/3 cup chopped coriander.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper
- Fry the chicken in the olive oil on medium heat until cooked through. This should be a relatively slow process, you don’t want to blast the chicken on full heat so the outsides are burnt and tough.
- Once the chicken is almost done, throw the almonds into the pan and brown them slightly. Take the chicken off the heat once it’s cooked through and allow it to cool (you can even place it in the fridge to speed up the process)
- Mix the mayonnaise, curry powder, turmeric, celery, red onion, raisins and coriander together.
- Once the chicken has cooled down, take a knife or some scissors and chop the chicken into chunky cubes and mix into the mayonnaise mixture.
- Tuck in and enjoy!