Okay so it seems this is the new modern take on bread and butter pudding – Chocolate croissants used instead of bread! It’s yummy and chocolatey and super easy to make. It does take a lot of eggs but if you would rather have less egg, then just use extra cream or milk instead. So for example, if you use only 4 eggs, then add an extra cup of milk or cream to substitute for the 2 eggs not used. You with me? Good!
A delicious take on the traditional bread and butter pudding, using chocolate croissants instead – delicious!
- 6 large croissants or 8 medium croissants (I used medium sized ones)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 slabs dark chocolate (ie. 200g)
- 8 tablespoons Nutella (optional)
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk (full cream or low-fat)
- 1 cup cream, plus extra for serving
- 1 cup sugar (white or brown)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used a vanilla pod, sliced lengthways, scraped out the seeds, then sliced the pod again and used it for decoration)
- Pinch of salt
- Â¼ cup chocolate buttons/drops (to decorate the top of the pudding â€“ you can just use grated chocolate as well)
- Preheat the oven to 160Â°C
- Grease a baking dish with the butter
- Slice the croissants in half and spread with Nutella (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cream, milk, sugar, eggs, salt and vanilla extract, set aside.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces or chop it up if you like and place half the chocolate on the bottom of the dish.
- Now place the croissants on top and then sprinkle the rest of the chocolate inside each croissant.
- Pour the egg mixture over the croissants and allow to stand for 15-20 minutes.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 160Â°C
- Sprinkle chocolate buttons/drops/grated chocolate on top of the pudding and place in the oven for another 5 minutes to melt.
- Serve warm with cream.