Want to know how to make KFC Chicken? The recipe below has been adapted from various recipes I’ve found online…all the spices you should easily be able to find at a local supermarket. Where the recipe calls for ground herbs, such as basil, sage and thyme, I just used my pestle and mortar to grind them a little finer. As you can guess, this isn’t the original KFC recipe which is a closely guarded secret but it does come incredibly close to it. If you have any ideas to make this recipe even better and more like the original then please leave a comment below! Enjoy this yummy recipe!!!
This recipe tastes delicious, and tastes every bit as good as its namesake – KFC Chicken pieces!
- 2 cups flour
- Â½ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 whole chicken cut into pieces – drumsticks, wings, breast and thighs
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano, ground
- 1 teaspoon sage, ground
- 1 teaspoon thyme, ground
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried sweet basil, ground
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon chicken seasoning
- 1 teaspoon all spice
- Mix the dry ingredients (flour, breadcrumbs and spices) in a large bowl and set aside.
- Put the chicken pieces in a large flat dish and pour the buttermilk over so that the chicken pieces are covered. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least two hours. This helps to tenderise the meat and remove any blood.
- Now remove the chicken pieces from the buttermilk, shake off the excess liquid and toss with dry ingredients. You can also fill a clean plastic bag with the spice mixture, add the chicken, close the bag and shake! Whatever your method, try make sure to coat the chicken completely.
- Fill a large frying pan with oil and heat the oil until small bubbles start to form. Now add the chicken. Make sure there is enough oil to cover halfway up the largest piece of chicken.
- Allow the chicken coating to brown slightly and then turn the temperature down to medium-low and allow the chicken to cook for 20-30 minutes or until cooked through. Remember to turn the chicken occasionally. Times may vary according to chicken sizes and stove temperatures.
- Drain well on paper towel and enjoy with fried chips or mash and gravy, coleslaw and salads.