If you’re like me and have to restrain yourself from picking up a jar of Nutella every time you do a grocery shop, you’ll love this recipe. You’ll have a love-hate relationship with it really. Yes, it’s wicked. Best of all this recipe is ridiculously easy! Just as a note – I used my KitchenAid Blender to process the hazelnuts into Hazelnut butter – it worked wonders!
There’s only one thing better than picking up a jar of Nutella from the store – and that’s making it yourself! Super easy too!
- 200g Hazelnuts (skin off)
- 1 can condensed milk
- 250g chocolate (cooking chocolate) â€“ dark chocolate is best
- Â½ cup hot milk
- In a dry pan (no oil), heat the hazelnuts until they start browning nicely â€“ keep moving them around and be careful not to burn them!
- Take them out the pan and place on a plate and allow them to cool.
- Once theyâ€™ve cooled down, place the nuts in a food processor or blender and process until they look like peanut butter (see pic below). This may take up to 15 minutes (or longer) depending on how powerful your machine is.
- Melt the chocolate either over the stove with a double boiler or you can use the microwave like I did â€“ place the chocolate in a microwaveable bowl and heat for 1 minute (on medium-high) and stir well and then another minute and stir well until the chocolate is melted.
- Once the chocolate has melted, stir in the condensed milk.
- Now add the above mixture to the hazelnut butter and process for a minute or two.
- At this point you may notice that the mixture becomes quite thick and dense. Add Â½ cup of hot milk if you want to thin it out a bit (I added the milk and it made the consistency just right).
- Pour into jars â€“ this is enough for two medium jars.