A cup of tea is never the same without scones – served with freshly whipped cream and homemade jam, of course. By following this easy recipe you can make a batch of this popular British quickbread in no time at all, and be prepared for guests popping in for afternoon tea.
Scones with freshly whipped cream and a great cup of tea – could life get any better?
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 3/4 cup milk
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Add the wet ingredients.
- Put dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently until smooth (don’t knead dough too much or scones will be tough).
- Pat dough flat and cut into 6 rounds. If you want to make a bigger batch, simply double all the ingredients in the recipe.
- Place scones onto prepared baking tray and sprinkle tops with a little plain flour.
- Bake at 240°C for +/- 7 minutes (until golden brown).
- Transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm with jam and cream.