A sweet pudding of Dutch origin, Malva Pudding is usually served hot with custard or ice-cream. Made with apricot jam, this typical South African dessert has a spongy, caramelised texture. Recipe Reference: Cookbook.co.za
An absolutely delicious pudding with a South African twist!
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 2 eggs (room temp)
- 1 tablespoon smooth apricot jam
- 1 ¼ cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarb of soda (5ml)
- pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons butter (30ml)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (15ml)
- 125ml milk
- 250ml cream
- 125ml butter
- 125ml sugar
- 125ml water/Orange juice/Sherry/Brandy
Set oven to 190°C
- Beat castor sugar and eggs until fluffy then beat in the jam until a creamy consistency
- Sift dry ingredients into separate bowl.
- Melt butter in a small pot on a medium heat and add the vinegar and milk
- Now add the above mixture (butter, milk, eggs) to the sifted ingredients and mix well. Now add the eggs mixture and combine well.
- Pour into an ovenproof casserole dish that takes about 2 liters.
- Bake at 190°C for 45 mins until the top is nicely browned.
- Melt all the sauce ingredients together in a small pot over a medium heat and pour over the pudding before serving, preferably while it’s still hot.
- Serve it with ice-cream or custard or both.