A pork knuckle covered by a thick layer of fat, the eisbein is a tender and aromatic German dish which needs to cook for a long time before itâ€™s ready to be enjoyed. Use this easy recipe to achieve your perfect eisbein, and serve it with potatoes and sauerkraut.
- 2 cured and smoked shanks of pork
- 1 onion, cut into quarters
- 1 carrot, chopped roughly
- 1 bay leaf
- Add all the ingredients into a large saucepan.
- Fill the saucepan with water, enough to cover the ingredients.
- Bring the saucepan to the boil.
- Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 1 Â½ hours or until tender and the skin is soft.
- Once cooked, remove the shanks from the saucepan and pat them to dry.
- Score the skin diagonally across.
- Salt the skin well.
- Place the shanks under a hot grill and let the skin crisp up to form crackling.