The secret to a moist chocolate cake lies in replacing butter with oil, and this easy recipe does just that. This is a straightforward, one-bowl batter that’s sure to become part of your recipe book forever. It’s the best chocolate cake for any of life’s sweet celebrations.
For icing recipes – go here. I recommend a chocolate buttercream icing or ganache.
A classic chocolate cake with fool-proof secrets to perfect cake moistness!
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cups cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup oil
- 1 cup boiling water or hot coffee
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line two 23cm round cake pans, or one 23x33cm rectangular baking pan, with wax paper. Grease the paper and the sides of the pan well.
- In a large bowl, sift the dry ingredients together.
- Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla essence and beat with an electric mixer for about two minutes. Add the boiling water or coffee and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans and bake for 30-40 minutes.
- To test if the cake is ready, insert a toothpick into the middle of the pan. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready. A single rectangular cake will take slightly longer to bake than two round layers.
- Slide a knife around the edge of each cake to loosen it from the pan, turn the pan over onto a metal rack and peel off the paper.
- Let the cake cool completely before covering with icing.