Chicken a la king is made with chicken, butter, mushrooms and a few other ingredients. This easy recipe will allow you to rustle up a scrumptious dinner – which can be served with rice and perhaps a fresh side salad in no time at all.
A comforting, creamy family dinner recipe, always a favourite with the kids!
- 375g left over chicken or 4 cooked chicken joints
- 1 green pepper – halved, deseeded and shredded
- 1 cup button mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1 rounded tbsp of flour (Maizena)
- 60g butter
- 150ml milk
- 1 tsp salt
- freshly milled black pepper
- 150ml cream
- 250ml chicken stock
- Remove any skin and bones and cut the chicken flesh into chunky pieces.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan.
- Add the prepared green pepper and sautÃ© gently for five minutes to soften.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and fry for a further few minutes.
- Draw the pan off the heat and stir in the flour.
- Gradually stir in chicken stock and then the milk.
- Replace the pan over the heat and cook until the mixture thickens and comes to the boil, stirring all the time.
- Add the cream and stir through.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the pieces of chicken and heat through gently.