Mashed potato is the perfect comfort food, especially when accompanied by a rich, savoury gravy. Follow these simple instructions to make plain mashed potato, and experiment with adding different ingredients for variety and flavour – such as herbs, cheddar cheese, garlic or onion.
- Peel your potatoes, one medium-sized to one large per person, and cover them with cold water and a pinch of salt in a pot.
- Bring to the boil under an angled lid, allowing steam to escape.
- Turn down the heat a notch and test a potato with a fork after 10-15 minutes to see if itís soft all the way through.
- Depending on how many potatoes your are cooking and how big they are, drain water off when done and put back on stove on very low heat to allow excess water to evaporate.
- Add salt, pepper, a tablespoon of butter and Ĺ to 1 cup of warm milk (depending on how many potatoes you have cooked) and mash with a hand-held masher or a fork.