Creamy caramelised onion, mushroom and cheese sauce with wholewheat penne pasta – a perfectly easy vegetarian meal for meatless Monday.
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 punnet Portobellini mushrooms (small brown ones)
- 2 small garlic cloves (or 1 large), minced
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 1/4 cup cream
- 1/4 cup Gorgonzola cheese, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup Pecorino cheese (or Gruyere), firmly packed
- salt and pepper
- 2 1/2 -3 cups raw wholewheat penne
- In a medium-sized frying pan, add the onions, butter and sugar and cook until soft and translucent.
- Add the wine and cook until it has all evaporated and the onions are beautifully caramelised.
- Add the garlic, mushrooms, cayenne, and thyme and cook until the mushrooms are done, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the cream and the cheeses and allow to melt.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Cook 2 1/2 – 3 cups raw penne, drain and then add to the sauce.
- Garnish with fresh sprigs of Thyme and enjoy!!!!