It’s not that often that I get to tell you about a recipe with just 4 ingredients! It makes me so excited to introduce you guys to a super easy chocolate mousse recipe! I mean with just 4 ingredients it has to be easy, yes? YASSSS! This week, you might have seen on my Instagram stories, that I made Chocolate Mousse. It’s terrible being a food blogger sometimes. Really hard.
Having said all of that, a chocolate mousse without egg or gelatine can still have an amazing texture and let’s not forget taste. Super yummy!!
This recipe is real easy and I will give options too in case you can’t find dark chocolate chips. The just of it goes like this – you warm up some cream on the stove, pour it over some dark chocolate chips in a bowl, leave it for a minute and then mix. You watch in awe as ganache appears before your very eyes. You then cool that and beat up the remainder of the cream with a little icing sugar until its rather stiff. It’s called “Stiff Peaks”. Then combine the ganache and the cream, mix and pour into ramekins or mugs and chill for an hour or two. Is that EASY or whaaaaat?
You need to remember this recipe if you need to shake your booty and get dessert ready at late notice.
Pin the image below to your Desserts board on Pinterest for later!
Strawberries are always a winner as they cut the richness of the chocolate. I also threw on some pomegranate seeds and pieces / crumbs of flake. You could also use chopped white chocolate for a contrast or even some leftover whipped cream.
I served these in little black mugs but even that I felt was a little too much. Next time I will use ramekins, I think they would be the perfect size after a good meal. Using ramekins will easily serve 8 people and cups or mugs will serve approximately 4 people.
Then you just use milk chocolate chips/buttons (the same amount 1 cup) and leave out the icing sugar as milk chocolate naturally has more sugar in it. You would then have a THREE ingredient dessert. Oh YAAAAA! It would look a little lighter in colour but the taste will still be perfect.
Let me know what you think of the recipe in the comments section below.
This is the texture after chilling for 2-3 hours (below)
An easy eggless chocolate mousse recipe that you can make in 30 minutes and contains only 4 ingredients. Decadent and delicious
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3 cups cream
- 1/4 cup icing sugar (add more if you prefer a sweeter mousse)
- 5ml vanilla essence (optional)
- For decoration: Leftover whipped cream, strawberries, or chocolate shavings
- Bring 1 cup of cream to a bare simmer ie. don’t let it simmer – you really just want to heat up the cream.
- Pour the cream over the dark chocolate chips in a heat-proof bowl, leave it for a minute and then mix until well combined. This is ganache! Place in teh fridge and allow to cool for 20-30 minutes.
- Beat up the remaining 2 cups of cream with the icing sugar until its rather stiff. It’s called “Stiff Peaks”.
- Combine the ganache mixture and the cream, and mix until smooth.
- Pour or pipe into ramekins or a serving dish of your choice. Decorate with cream and chocolate shavings or strawberries (whatever you like really!) and chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
- This recipe will serve 4-8 depending on the size of the serving dish – ramekins will serve 8 and mugs or glasses typically will serve 4-6.