Easy Slow Cooker Beef Ragu recipe with meat that literally melts apart.
- 550-600g Rump Steak, (no need to cut)
- 3 tablespoons butter (or oil)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- OPTIONAL: Sour Cream or Creme Fraiche for garnishing
- In a medium frying pan, melt the butter and then brown the meat on all sides – roughly 2 minutes a side.
- Transfer the meat and juices from the pan into the slow cooker.
- Add all the other ingredients
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 15-16 hours
- Now, remove/discard any large pieces of fat and shred the meat using 2 forks – it should almost melt apart. Mix the meat into the sauce to get an even consistency.
- Serve with mash potato, pappardelle pasta or shell pasta. Add a dollop of sour cream or creme fraiche on top of the ragu as an optional but tasty extra.