It has been cold these last few days. Like really cold. Like we need to make hot chocolate and fires, kinda cold. So we did exactly that. As you can see 🙂
We are 2 weeks away from official summer yet this past week you would never say that. Yoh! But it’s naaaaice. I’m not complaning in any way, I LOVE a little cold weather every now and then. Hello hot chocolate. Hello fires. Hello snuggling. Hello jackets and boots. Hello more hot chocolate.
This hot chocolate recipe is very basic, as it should be! I made mine with 4 cups of milk as the base however you can easily do half milk and half cream or just 3/4 milk and 1/4 cream…the ratio is up to you. If you like a really sweet hot chocolate, I would put in 200g of white chocolate but if you prefer something a little less sweet, work on 100-150g of chocolate. My favourite part about making this recipe was topping it with instant whipped cream out the can. Is anyone else with me on that? Fun right? My maturity levels are real high this time of year.
If you don’t have the instant version, you can whip some fresh cream until thickened.
Please take a moment to see how GORGEOUS my copper saucepan is??? BY far the best second hand thing I have every bought.
- 150g white chocolate, chopped (I used baking chocolate)
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 4 small candy canes
- Instant whipped cream
- Optional: 1 teaspoon peppermint essence
- In a medium saucepan, add the milk, chocolate and vanilla essence. Turn to medium heat and bring the milk slowly to a simmer and then a gentle boil.
- Stir until the chocolate has melted.
- Pour into cups and top with instant whipped cream and crushed candy cane.
- For a peppermint twist, add 1/4 teaspoon peppermint essence to each cup.
- Enjoy with a blankie, huddled up to a cracking fire. oh Yes!!!