Firstly, let me say this. Fillet with creamy blue cheese sauce.
Just breathe a sigh of contentedness for a moment….
Fillet, with Blue cheese, with cream, with caramelised onion, with salt, with pepper.
I feel like I could get dramatic about this and tell you to stop what you are doing right now and go and buy a fillet, and make this for lunch for it will make you breathe little sighs of contentedness throughout the day. Even long after you have finished the meal.
Even when you go to bed , you will have happy fillet dreams.
Or that could just get a little weird.
Okay forget about that part.
And really hoping here that you are a blue cheese lover?
How could you not be?
I was converted by my friend Amanda way back at university. She’s one of those friends that you messy-ugly laugh with. When you both find everything h-i-l-a-r-i-o-u-s and the laugh is so hard it is silent, often accompanied by bodily contortions reserved for a yoga class.
She was very persuasive – told me that my palate needed a little refinement and that tasting new foods was liberating. I was completely about liberation. So, one night over some wine, she dressed up the mushroom sauce I had prepared with a tub of crème fraiche and accessorized it with Blue cheese.
I frequently shudder at the thought of our paths never crossing. I would never had sampled that blue cheese and it would never have featured in my life again. It’s a sentimental and scary thought.
Blue cheese lovers – you are in for a treat. And if you’re not a blue cheese enthusiast, I must say I am surprised that you are still reading this. Kudos to you.
The secret to this recipe is cooking the fillet properly. It needs to be tender and I will teach you the secret way to do this in the method below.Print
Unforgettable fillet with creamy blue cheese sauce. THIS is the recipe you have to have when you want to WOW. Plus prep and cook time are 17 minutes, total!
- 450g fillet
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 50g blue cheese
- ½ cup crème fraiche (sour cream)
- ½ cup cream
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220C
- In a medium saucepan, add a tablespoon butter and one tablespoon of oil. Turn the heat onto high.
- Brown the fillet quickly and by this I mean you really want to just seal and brown so literally just 30 seconds or less on each side.
- Place the meat in the oven for 10-12 minutes…or slightly longer if you like your meat well done.
- In the meantime, cook the onion on medium heat until soft and lightly browned.
- When the meat is ready, transfer it to the pan with the onion and simply add the cream, crème fraiche, blue cheese, salt and pepper. Using a fork, gently mix everything together, the cheese will start to melt and become a mouth-watering sauce.