Oh yes! Can we feel the summer-ness encroaching? What a winner of a weekend in terms of weather. A note to my international readers – we are still officially in winter and this weekend clocked 30C plus in Durban. Uh huh. Hellloooooo Durban I love you….we all love you. And the Jasmine has also started to bloom which is officially a sign that spring is on her way which means Summer is soon to follow.
Cajun Chicken Pitas with Creamy Lime Mayo Dressing – Doesn’t it just sound so mouth-watering? That is because it is. I initially wanted to make these with wholewheat wraps just because it made for a lighter meal but there were none to be found, so pitas it was. And to be honest, they fared really well and they still provided a light enough base. If you’re going Carb-free, you could always make Cauliflower wraps or just enjoy the chicken as a salad. Indeed, yes!
Right so, these little pockets of yumminess are quick and easy to whip up. We need a few spices, limes (oh dear limes we luuurrrrv you too), chicken and mayo. So many things can be substituted in this recipe…as mentioned in paragraph 2. If you don’t have chicken, use Fish. Seriously. The possibilities here are endless. No sour cream? Just whip up some cream and add a little lemon juice. I’m seriously surprising myself with my cleverness here. And for extra genius points, if you don’t have cabbage, use lettuce. Hah!
And for those with little kiddies, substitute the spices (which are rather ha ha ha hot) with honey. Kids will go mad for it!
Okay, now that we got the substitutions out of the way, let’s cook these babies.
- 6 Chicken Breasts
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne
- Salt and Pepper
- Juice of ½ lime (keep other half for the dressing)
- 6 Pita Breads
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup coriander
- For the mayo dressing
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- ¾ cup crème fraiche (sour cream)
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of ½ lime
- Season the chicken breasts with the Paprika, Cayenne, Salt and Pepper ie. All the spices
- Heat the Olive oil in a large frying pan. Fry the chicken breasts for a 4-5 minutes on high (to brown them).
- Squeeze the juice of half a lime over the chicken.
- Turn down the heat down to medium and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- In the meantime, shred the cabbage.
- Now, prepare the Lime Mayo Dressing – in a bowl, place the mayonnaise, crème fraiche (sour cream), lime zest and juice. Mix together well. Spread the dressing on the inside of the pitas.
- Slice the chicken and mix with the cabbage and coriander – place in the pitas. Add extra salt and pepper to taste.