Okay before you read the recipe, read this: Don’t be put off by the number of eggs. I’m not a huge fan of eggs but in this dessert you cannot even taste the eggs (well that’s what I thought anyway and usually I can always taste the eggs!). One of the best desserts I have tasted in a long long long time. So simple. So yummy. So different. I hosted a cooking evening last week with girls from my office and it was so much fun – we had a chef friend come in and demonstrate some dishes and this was one of them. We declared this recipe the winner. Or in our office dialect, a weeeeeeena! I hope you enjoy it too!
A totally unique and utterly delicious dessert, try it, you will never regret it!
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 1 tub (250g) mascarpone cheese
- 1 tub cream, 250ml
- 1 vanilla pod (or half teaspoon vanilla paste)
- 2 medium bananas
- 12-14 medium-sized strawberries (or 8-10 large ones)
- Place the egg yolks, sugar and the vanilla seeds in a mixing bowl (scrape these out of the vanilla pod with a knife or your finger – sometimes this is the easiest way!!)
- Mix the egg yolks and sugar with a whisk, by hand, over a double-boiler and mix for 5 minutes (I used a makeshift double boiler by pouring water into a large pot and then placing the mixing bowl which was stainless steel, on top of that. If you don’t have a stainless steel mixing bowl, then just use a stainless steel pot).
- After 5 minutes, you’ll see that the mixture is pale yellow. Now place the bowl in a basin of cold water and continue to stir for 2 minutes whilst the mixture cools down.
- Now place it in the fridge whilst you get the cream ready!
- Whip the cream either manually with a whisk or with an electric blender. Set aside.
- Soften the mascarpone cheese in a blender for a minute or so, especially if it’s not at room temperature.
- Take the bowl out the fridge and mix in the mascarpone cheese and whipped cream.
- Just before serving, cut the banana into small slices and the strawberries into quarters. Mix into the custard and if you like use some of the cut strawberries for decoration…I also dusted with icing sugar although this is completely optional!!