If you like a sweet and tart combination then you’ll love this recipe. It’s very rich which makes it all the more decadent and delicious and a great cake for high tea or any other occasion where there’s an excuse to eat cake! I created this recipe after taking inspiration from various recipes – it came out so well, I actually couldn’t believe it at first because I changed quantities quite a bit and you know, well, with baking and all, that’s not usually a good idea! But this is a winner guys and I am SO excited to share it with you! I’d love to hear from you and what you think of it!
A totally rich, decadent cake with sweet and tart flavours that combine beautifully!
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup key lime juice (I used the juice of 8 limes)
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 3-4 drops green food colouring
- 1 cup butter
- 250g cream cheese
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- ½ tablespoon Key Lime Juice (juice from approx. one lime)
- Grated lime zest to sprinkle over the icing
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease two round cake pans (I like to use wax paper in the bottom as well)
- Sieve all the dry ingredients together
- Add the eggs, oil and lime juice and beat until smooth
- Add the sour cream and food colouring and mix again until smooth and the colour has been evenly distributed
- Divide the batter between the two cake tins and cook for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool. Then ice the cake using the recipe below and sprinkle with lime zest.
- In a mixer (I used my KitchenAid), mix the butter and cream cheese together until smooth and creamy.
- Add the icing sugar, cream, vanilla essence and lime juice and beat until smooth.