Mouth-watering. You won’t be able to get enough of this marinade/sauce once you’ve made it. Ridiculously yummy. And so easy you can whip this up in 10 minutes flat! I’m telling you!!! Promise! This is a modified recipe from Chang’s Mongolian Beef – a hugely popular and highly pinned recipe on Pinterest. I’ve modified it to make it even easier…but I haven’t for one minute compromised on taste…trust me peeps!! This marinade works well with any type of beef and I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that it would work well with chicken too!
Here we go!
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (try use fresh cloves if you can)
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup Cornstarch (eg. Maizena)
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar (you can also use normal brown sugar if you don’t have the dark version)
- 500g fillet (if you have more or less, that’s fine)
- 10-12 spring onions, chopped (white part only)
- 5ml oil and 5ml butter for frying
- Mix the cornstarch and water together to form a paste.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the oil and butter) to the cornstarch paste and stir well.
- Pour into a pan over medium-high heat. Let the sauce come to the boil and then remove from heat and pour the marinade over the fillet in a suitable marinating dish.
- All to marinate in the fridge for 4-6 hours (cover with cling wrap or similar)
- To cook (this is my secret for cooking fillet): Turn oven on to 220C and in the meantime, place butter and oil in a frying pan and turn heat on high.
- Once the pan is hot, lift the fillet out the marinade and seal the fillet by braising it on each side: front, back and sides. This is quite a quick process, it shouldn’t take more than 2-3 minutes – you just want to brown the fillet to add flavour.
- Once all the sides are done, place it in an oven roasting/stainless steel dish and pour the marinade in as well as we’ll be using this for the sauce later.
- You may need to add a little water to the marinade to thin it out ie. use 1/3 cup water and stir. I did this and it worked out great.
- Place in the oven and cook for 10-12 minutes depending on how well done you like your fillet. I always cook my fillet like this because it stays juicy and succulent but still has the yummy taste of the braised meat. Noms! Serve with a plain and simple mashed potato and your choice of veggies.