I made this for my dinner club the other night and it went down a treat. This particular recipe is taken from Barefoot Contessa which I came across through Pinterest….it’s been pinned and baked by many a Pinterest-a-holic and is wildly popular…for good reason! You just gotta get those mitts on and try it my friendies. 🙂
Source: Barefoot Contessa
- 220g butter
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar (either brown or white is fine)
- 3/4 cup good quality cocoa powder (I used Nomu’s Cocoa Powder)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (I used cake flour and it was fine)
- Seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean
- Optional: ½ cup chopped chocolate – white or dark (I used dark)
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Lightly butter a large rectangular dish or use Spray & Cook (dish size is +- 22cm x 30cm and about 5cm deep).
- Melt the butter in the microwave. Set aside to cool.
- In an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar on med-high speed for 5 to 10 minutes – they should go thick and light yellow.
- In another bowl, sift the cocoa powder and flour together to remove any lumps. Set aside.
- When the egg-sugar mixture is ready, reduce the speed to low. Add the vanilla seeds and the cocoa-flour mixture. Mix only until just combined.
- With mixer still on low, slowly pour in the cooled butter. Mix again just until combined.
- Pour the brownie mixture into the prepared dish. I added 1/2 cup of chopped chocolate here just for extra yummy goodness – literally sprinkled the pieces on top of the mixture.
- Place the baking dish in a larger baking pan. Add enough of the hottest tap water to the pan to come halfway up the side of the dish. Bake for 1 hour at 180C.
- A toothpick inserted towards the edges will come out almost clean. The center however will appear very under-baked. This is the yummy part though! Remember, this dessert is a mix between a brownie and a pudding so leave the centre nice and gooey!
- Allow to cool and serve with vanilla ice cream. I sprinkled berries on the top of my brownie pudding and the tartness of the berries contrasted well with the sweetness of the chocolately brownie. Mmmmmmmm!!!!!