Oh my word! My mother gave me this recipe and who knows why she kept it from me this long. It’s quick to prepare and super easy (of course!!). Best of all the meringue comes out crunchy on the outside and nice and chewy and light on the inside. Serve with strawberries or Kiwi or even a mix of fruit – it’s up to you and then some whipped cream. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family did!
Want to make perfect meringues? Try out this easy meringue recipe.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups castor sugar
- 4 tsp maizena (cornflour)
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 150°C
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and then add castor sugar and beat again until stiff.
- Add maizena, vinegar and vanilla and mix again until well combined.
- Place wax paper on a baking tray and with a piping bag or with the back of a spoon, create a circular base of meringue mixture. Use a piping bag to then pipe dollops of meringue around the edges, effectively creating a “basket” or “barrier” so that the fruit and cream which you’ll put in later (when serving) doesn’t escape!
- Bake for about 1 hour at 150°C. Allow to cool.
- To serve, spread the top with cream and strawberries.