Whilst researching “trifles”, I came across many different versions, some had jelly some didn’t, some had alcohol some didn’t, some had boudoir biscuits, some had cake, some had cream and others had custard…and some had it all!! I came to the conclusion that anything goes really! I wanted to make a trifle that was pretty and simple and of course delicious. So what we have below is all that J
Notes: I used a Consol jar for these trifles. The recipe below is for 4 trifles (4 jars)
Trifles come in many different forms – try this recipe for a scrumptious treat that looks lovely presented in glass jars.
- 2 Swiss roll cakes with buttercream (I just bought from PicknPay)
- 2 ½ cups strawberries, sliced into quarters
- 250ml whipping cream
- Cut the Swiss Roll into thick slices (3-4cm thick) and use a round cookie cutter to punch circles in the slices of cake.
- Put the first layer of cake in the jar
- Place1/3 cup of strawberries on top of the cake
- Place 1/3 cup whipped cream on top of the strawberries.
- Now place more strawberries, then a piece of cake and finish off with cream and decorate with a strawberry/strawberries or even a cherry if you have. Other options include sprinkling with chocolate shavings.
- Best served immediately or within a few hours.