Okay…these are very yummy and so so pretty..I wasn’t sure to call these cupcakes or muffins, but either way they are delicious! The icing is quite tart but is balanced by the sweetness of the muffin / cupcake..interesting for the palate! The only thing is, I had trouble finding freeze-dried blueberries to make the icing. Eventually I was so desperate to make them that I orderd dried blueberries online at iherb.com.Your other alternative is to get fresh blueberries, blend in a blender/mixer and then use just one or two tablespoons of the pulp to get the colour and taste in the icing. Adding too much of the pulp will create an icing that is too runny.Print
This is something you have to try if you want a sweet treat that is gorgeous to look at (totally Pinterest worthy) and has an interesting (and delectable) mix of flavours!
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 100g butter, softened
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 35g freeze-dried blueberries ( see notes above if you can’t get these)
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and place cupcake liners in a cupcake / muffin tin
- Cream together the butter and the sugar until light and creamy and then add the eggs and beat well.
- Now add the dry ingredients, except the poppy seeds, and mix together.
- Add the sour cream, vanilla extract and lemon juice and mix together until well combined.
- Stir in the poppy seeds and grated lemon zest
- Distribute the batter between the cupcake liners and place in the oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- To make the icing, place the freeze-dried blueberries into a blender and blend until a fine powder forms. Set aside.
- Mix together the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Now add the icing sugar and powdered blueberries and mix together until well combined.
- Ice the muffins / cupcakes with an piping bag or by spreading the icing over with a knife. Enjoy!