I love anything red velvet and these are sooo yummy! There’s nothing quite like a red velvet cupcake is there? Mmm…so decadent and delicious! This recipe makes a lot of batter – I could actually make 2 cake layers and 6 cupcakes with this mixture. If you just want to make cupcakes it will make +- 24 cupcakes. If you just want to make a cake, it will make 3 layers in a round cake tin.Print
Decadent and delicious, this red velvet recipe will make 24 cupcakes or a 3 layered cake.
Red Velvet Cake
- 2 ¼ cups cake flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups oil
- 1 ½ cups castor sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon red gel food colouring (or 4 tablespoons liquid food colouring)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 tub cream cheese (230g)
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 4 cups icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease cupcake pans with butter or Spray & Cook.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar and eggs until well blended
- Now add the flour and buttermilk alternately and mix well.
- Add the baking powder, baking soda, cocoa and salt and mix until well combined.
- Add the vanilla essence and colouring and mix well.
- Fill the cupcake tins or liners 2/3 full.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 25-30 minutes before icing the cupcakes.
- Beat the cream cheese (I used my KitchenAid Blender on medium) until smooth and then add the icing sugar cup by cup and mix well after each addition.
- Add the water and mix well.