Vetkoek is a kind of pastry or fried bread, and can be served with both sweet and savoury fillings – such as golden syrup or curried mince. To make it the traditional South African way, follow this easy recipe and rest assured that your vetkoeks will always be perfect!
A fried pastry or bread that can be served with sweet or savoury fillings. A delicious South African treat!
- 2 cups cake flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-2 tbsp melted butter or cooking oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- cooking oil for deep frying
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Beat butter, egg and buttermilk together.
- Now add this to the flour mixture and stir. The dough should have a spongy texture that drips easily off a spoon.
- Half fill a large pot with cooking oil and heat until it bubbles.
- Place spoonfuls of dough into the hot oil.
- Deep fry for a few minutes and then turn and fry them until golden brown. Remove when cooked and drain on paper toweling.
- Allow to cool slightly before eating.